David C. Weiss, a seasoned legal professional with nearly four decades of experience, has been appointed as a special counsel to investigate Hunter Biden. Here are some important details to know about Weiss:
1. Assumed Role as U.S. Attorney for the District of Delaware: In February 2018, Weiss took the oath as the U.S. Attorney for the District of Delaware after receiving recommendations from Senators Tom Carper (D) and Chris Coons (D). Former President Donald Trump commended Weiss for sharing his vision of “Making America Safe Again.”
2. Extensive Legal Career: Weiss embarked on his legal career in 1984 as a clerk for Justice Andrew Christie in the Delaware Supreme Court. He obtained his degrees from Washington University in St. Louis and Widener University School of Law.
3. Experience as an Assistant U.S. Attorney: Starting in 1986, Weiss served as an assistant U.S. attorney, handling cases involving violent crimes and white-collar offenses.
4. Bar Association Memberships: Weiss holds memberships in the Delaware and Pennsylvania bar associations.
5. Transitions: In 1989, Weiss temporarily left his prosecutorial role to join the Philadelphia-based law firm Duane Morris. Later in 1999, he joined the Wilmington-based Siegfried Group, where he assumed the positions of chief operating officer and senior vice president.
6. Previous Stints as U.S. Attorney: Weiss served as the first assistant U.S. attorney for Delaware from 2007 to 2009. Subsequently, he held the positions of acting and interim U.S. attorney for Delaware from 2009 to 2011. He then returned for a second term as U.S. attorney between 2012 and 2018.
7. Notable Achievements as a Federal Prosecutor: Throughout his time as a federal prosecutor, Weiss handled cases involving corruption, money laundering, drug offenses, and played a crucial role in obtaining federal funding to combat drug trafficking in Delaware.
8. Involvement in High-Profile Court Cases: Weiss has been involved in prominent court cases, such as representing the family of Anne Marie Fahey, who tragically lost her life in 1996 while working as a secretary for then-Delaware Governor Tom Carper. He also oversaw the prosecution of Christopher Tigani, a beer distributor accused of soliciting illegal donations for President Joe Biden’s unsuccessful presidential campaign.
9. Leading the Hunter Biden Investigation: Since 2018, Weiss has been leading the Justice Department’s probe into Hunter Biden. The investigation initially focused on Biden’s foreign business dealings and later expanded to include his firearm purchase. Allegations related to tax evasion and potential violations of the Foreign Registration Act have contributed to the attention surrounding this investigation.
10. Appointment as Special Counsel: Weiss sought special counsel status to oversee the Hunter Biden investigation, a request that Attorney General Merrick Garland approved. This appointment has sparked both support and criticism from various political figures, with some Republicans expressing concerns over Weiss’s impartiality.
As the investigation into Hunter Biden unfolds, David Weiss’s role as special counsel will be closely monitored by both those who support and criticize the probe.